Written in a clear and concise manner, this book presents readers with an in-depth discussion of the 5G technologies that will help move society beyond its current capabilities. It perfectly illustrates how the technology itself will benefit both individual consumers and industry as the world heads towards a more connected state of being. Every technological application presented is modeled in a schematic diagram and is considered in depth through mathematical analysis and performance assessment. Furthermore, published simulation data and measurements are checked.
Each chapter of 5G Physical Layer Technologies contains texts, mathematical analysis, and applications supported by figures, graphs, data tables, appendices, and a list of up to date references, along with an executive summary of the key issues. Topics covered include: the evolution of wireless communications; full duplex communications and full dimension MIMO technologies; network virtualization and wireless energy harvesting; Internet of Things and smart cities; and millimeter wave massive MIMO technology. Additional chapters look at millimeter wave propagation losses caused by atmospheric gases, rain, snow, building materials and vegetation; wireless channel modeling and array mutual coupling; massive array configurations and 3D channel modeling; massive MIMO channel estimation schemes and channel reciprocity; 3D beamforming technologies; and linear precoding strategies for multiuser massive MIMO systems. Other features include:
- In depth coverage of a hot topic soon to become the backbone of IoT connecting devices, machines, and vehicles
- Addresses the need for green communications for the 21st century
- Provides a comprehensive support for the advanced mathematics exploited in the book by including appendices and worked examples
- Contributions from the EU research programmes, the International telecommunications companies, and the International standards institutions (ITU; 3GPP; ETSI) are covered in depth
- Includes numerous tables and illustrations to aid the reader
- Fills the gap in the current literature where technologies are not explained in depth or omitted altogether
5G Physical Layer Technologies is an essential resource for undergraduate and postgraduate courses on wireless communications and technology. It is also an excellent source of information for design engineers, research and development engineers, the private-public research community, university research academics, undergraduate and postgraduate students, technical managers, service providers, and all professionals involved in the communications and technology industry.